Waterfall Gully Hike
- Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Adelaide, South Australia
- Product code: WGH
Challenge yourself on Adelaide’s favourite hike! This tough, yet rewarding guided hike takes you from the serenity of Waterfall Gully and along the trails of Cleland Conservation Park to the summit at Mount Lofty. At 710m witness stunning panoramic views over-looking the Adelaide plains and Gulf St Vincent.
- Start the day fresh, active and inspired! In an area abundant with native wildlife you will hike past waterfalls, along streams and follow the gully ridges. Immerse yourself in the natural
environment and be sure to soak up the negative ions as you pass by the waterfalls and flowing streams to feel even more invigorated.
- Return transport direct to the trail head provides hassle free and easy access to this popular trail. Upon arrival at the trail head be greeted by your tour guide and get ready to start the hike to the Summit. Your guide will provide you with a short introduction and orientation before guiding you on the hike.
- At the summit there will be time to admire the stunning views across Adelaide and beyond. Then treat yourself to an energising coffee and snack at the Summit Café (at own expense) before taking the return route back to the trail head.
Tuesday and Sunday or on request for private groups. Departs Adelaide 8:00am and returns 12:30pm.
- Return transport to the CBD
- Experienced local hiking guide
Breathe the fresh morning air at Waterfall Gully - a short scenic drive from the city takes you direct to the trailhead of Adelaide’s most popular hike. Arriving around 8.30am, be amazed by your first sight of the spectacular First Falls sparkling in the morning sunshine. Depending upon your interest stops along the way, expect to take between 1 to 2 hours to arrive at the Summit.
Appreciate the serenity of nature with a morning hike - fully immerse yourself in the environment and sense the wilderness while listening to the sounds of the native birdlife. Detect the distinctive scents of the eucalyptus trees as the 3.9km trail climbs past waterfalls, along streams and gully ridges. Keep a keen eye out for sleepy koalas high in the gum trees, small lizards or even a kangaroo grazing in the bush!
Be rewarded with mind-blowing views - sense the feeling of height as you reach the summit and be rewarded with breathtaking views over Adelaide and beyond. See the city buildings, parklands and iconic Adelaide Oval, look out across the plains to the Airport, the coastal town of Glenelg and the far reaches of Port Adelaide. On a clear day, you may even sight Kangaroo Island!
Re-energise at the Summit Café - the Café is the perfect place to relax and enjoy a morning coffee or brunch (own expense) while admiring the views. Be sure to take some time to learn
some interesting facts and history about the Summit before following your guide back down to Waterfall Gully. The return hike should take around 1 hour.
- This hike is graded as hard. The Waterfall Gully to Mount Lofty Hike involves steep sections and uneven surfaces and a good level of fitness and mobility is required. The hike is approximately 2 – 3 hours return (7.8km).
- The tour has a minimum age requirement on 12 and is not recommended for young children. All children 12 – 17 years must be accompanied by a fare paying adult.
- We recommend wearing comfortable walking/hiking shoes, sunscreen, hat and sunglasses and bring a small lightweight backpack for personal items. Bring a full reusable water bottle which can be refilled for free at Mount Lofty Summit with fresh spring water.
We look forward to seeing you out there!