Morialta Wilderness and Wildlife Hike
- Duration: 5 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Adelaide, South Australia
- Product code: MWH
Be amazed by the breath-taking landscape of this national park. As you follow your guide around the trails, witness an abundance of native flora and wildlife around the remarkable rock faces, gorges and seasonal waterfalls. Morialta’s unspoilt wilderness is sure to bring out the natural explorer within you!
- Reconnect with nature in one of Adelaide’s most scenic National Parks, just 30 minutes from the city. Small group tour (up to 10) with a passionate local guide and an easy relaxed pace, ensures a fun and personalised experience.
- Explore the bush trails to discover the Valley Walk, Kookaburra Rock, Giant’s Cave, Morialta Falls Plateau and Eagles Nest Lookout. Hike to all three of the waterfalls along Fourth Creek. The trails are perfect for beginners and experienced bushwalkers alike.
- See many native animals within their natural environment including amazing birdlife and wild koalas among the gum trees. Learn about the park’s early history, native plants and animals.
- As the trails come to an end, it’s time to relax and reflect on your adventures as we whisk you back to Adelaide ready for lunch! (perhaps at the Adelaide Central Market)
- Return transport to CBD
- Experienced local guide
- National Park fees
- Morning snack
Tuesday and Sunday or on request for private groups. Departs Adelaide 8:00am and returns 12:30pm
A unique nature based experience - Morialta is part of the traditional lands of the Kaurna people and derives its name from the aboriginal word ‘Morialta’ meaning ever flowing! The waterfalls, gorges and 500 hectares of natural bushland in Morialta have provided a popular escape for locals over the past 100 years. This tour provides an active and immersive experience that enriches the understanding of nature and the importance of looking after it.
Bushwalking wilderness - start your morning adventure along the Morialta walking trails as the bush wakes from its night slumber. As you follow the trails, discover amazing rock faces, gorges and seasonal waterfalls. Witness the dawn colours bounce on the spectacular rugged vistas and capture the sense of nature while discovering the natural wonders of this national reserve.
Admire native animals in the wild - Morialta is the best place in Adelaide where you can see koalas in the wild! It offers a unique biodiversity where many native animals can be spotted including the occasional kangaroo or echidna. The creeks, rock pools and the higher slopes of the Gorge offer a perfect habitat to several species of frogs and small lizards such as geckos, skinks, and dragons.
Visit all three waterfalls - the seasonal waterfalls along Fourth Creek are one of the best known features of the park. Morialta Falls and Second Falls are the grandest, each cascading over
sheer quartzite cliffs. Nestled at the end of the trail is the less visited but most tranquil Third Falls – be stunned by its peaceful and natural setting and take the time to listen to the softly cascading water.
See amazing birdlife and wildflowers - listen to the sounds and observe the many native birds such as the Superb Fairy-wren, rare Golden Whistler, Rainbow Lorikeet and the iconic Laughing Kookaburra. Use the supplied binoculars and be amazed by how many species you can discover. Every winter and spring the park is abundant with native wildflowers including many delicate and colourful orchid species.
- This hike is graded moderate. It involves some inclines and uneven surfaces and a good level of fitness and mobility is required. The total distance walked is approximately 6 km over approximately 3 hours.
- The tour has a minimum age requirement of 12 (except for private groups). All children must be accompanied by a fare paying adult.
We look forward to seeing you out there!